Saturday 9: Heartbreak Hotel (1956)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) Elvis checked in to the hotel at the end of Lonely Street. Where was the last hotel or motel you stayed at? It was a Holiday Inn in Ooltweah Springs-Chattanooga, TN..... stopped for the night on the way home to Michigan from Florida last month.
2) He sings that Heartbreak Hotel is always crowded. The fear of crowds is so prevalent that it has four names (enochlophobia, ochlophobia, demophobia and agoraphobia). Are you comfortable in a crowd? Not really
3) The desk clerk at Heartbreak Hotel is dressed black. Do you often wear all black? Very rarely do I wear all black
4) The song was written by Mae Boren Axton, who said it was inspired by the story of an anonymous young man's suicide in a hotel. She said she read in The Miami Herald that the John Doe left behind a note that said, "I walk a lonely street." What's the last note you handwrote? (Hopefully it was more upbeat.) I wrote a letter to a friend on Wednesday
5) When Elvis was 11, his parents bought him a guitar. He had asked for a rifle, but his mama convinced him a guitar was a better idea. Tell us about a time one of your parents was right about something. oh man this would require to make me think....and its too early for me to do that..lol
6) Not long before "Heartbreak Hotel" was recorded, Elvis' father recommended he give up the guitar and become a truck driver. Tell us about a time one of your parents was wrong about something. again...see above
7) There are many stories about Elvis' manager, Col. Tom Parker. One anecdote, about his career before Elvis, has the Colonel painting sparrows yellow so he could sell them as canaries. Have you ever been ripped off? I am sure there have been a few times in all the years that I had garage sales that someone walked off with something without paying...
8) Speaking of birds, Elvis once owned a peacock. It damaged his cars, so he gave it to the Memphis Zoo. In earlier days, it might have been dinner, for peacock was considered a medieval delicacy. What's the last poultry you prepared? just yesterday, I made chicken salad....
9) Random question: You and a friend have dinner at a restaurant. Your friend left her wallet at home, so you pick up the entire tab of $62, including tip. A few weeks later, you two meet for lunch and when the bill comes, she puts down half. Do you remind her that she still owes you $31 from the last time you dined together? no