I plan on making some homemade bread today! I am hoping it turns out this time!
* 2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
* 2 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
* 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
* 1/2 cup vegetable oil
* 2 tablespoons white sugar
* 1 tablespoon salt
* 8 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 tablespoon butter, melted
1. In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Add remaining water, dry milk, oil, sugar, salt, and 3 cups of flour; beat with an electric mixer on medium speed for 3 minutes, or until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
2. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 6 to 8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease surface. Cover the bowl with a damp cloth. Let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
3. Punch the dough down, and divide in half. Shape into loaves. Place in two greased 9 X 5 x 3 inch loaf pans. Grease the tops of the loaves, and cover with a damp cloth. Let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
4. Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 35 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove bread from pans to cool on wire racks. Brush with melted butter or margarine.